Sunday, August 3, 2008

My travel size toothpaste


Yes, I said it. Yesterday I bought a travel size tube of toothpaste. I'm sure that I'm ready to go now and all is well. :) It's a sign.

It still doesn't feel real although I'm surrounded by "things" that show me it's happening. I'm sitting on the couch in my bedroom and to my right is a stack of clothes I will iron and pack today and in front of me on the table along with my morning coffee I see the People Style Watch and Oprah magazines I bought the other day for the 15 hour flight to Delhi. I obsess about the details - always have and always will I'm sure. I've made about 16 different lists and continue to scratch off and condense as I go along. Something that seemed like it would either never happen or never get here is right around the corner for me now ready or not.

There haven't been any additional bombings in India that have made headlines recently and I'm glad for that. I think my mother would stage a sit-in at the Quad City Airport should it happen and so I'm hopeful that it will be quiet for a while to help calm her nerves. This has caused a great deal of upset, but I think she's made a certain peace about it at this point. Through my many discussions with my mother, (what I really mean here is: I'm listening, she's talking, I'm explaining, she's still not buying it.....), I was able to really define for myself what this experience will be all about and why I want to go. I feel really amazed that I get this opportunity to return to India to see my close friends there and to be a part of such an "auspicious" event. I know that I will never get this chance again and I can only imagine what lies ahead.

I said to my mother last night that I should write a book about this entire experience. Why not? I already have the perfect title: "An Irish Girl At An Indian Wedding". It's all downhill from there right? I'm not sure if that will ever happen, but no matter what I do intend to document as much of this experience through this blog, pictures, video and anything else I can get my hands on.

When I went to India the first time I had no idea what to expect and was overwhelmed by everything that it ended up to be. I don't think I could have prepared myself any differently and think back to what a different experience it would have been for me if I hadn't have met Deepthi when I did and shortly thereafter, the rest of her family in Hyderabad. The day after we arrived there was a major celebration called Diwali (pronounced "Divali"), otherwise known as the Festival of Lights. Part of the traditional celebration is to light fireworks and they don't mess around there. I remember distinctly that the night of Diwali my group from Palmer was eating a group dinner at the Taj Krishna, (our hotel was FABULOUS!!) outside on one of the patios there and the sky was literally filled with smoke and fireworks everywhere you looked. The sound of firecrackers was constant. There was no end to it for hours and no break in the sound. It seemed like we were in a war zone of sorts and I imagine that there were several casualties of the night as "regulations or restrictions" on the sorts of fireworks there is non-existent. We were all amazed and all I could picture was me standing there with a sparkler going, "Hey, will this work?!" I don't think so.

I learned that Diwali is a celebration dedicated to Lakshmi, (the goddess of wealth if you didn't already know - duh!), in their particular part of India. (I have since seen that in Bengal another goddess is involved. There are a lot of goddesses = girl power!) That's all I remembered so I looked it up and was reminded that it's also about the destruction of evil by Vishnu in one of the many manifestations he takes. A burning lamp symbolizes the "light of knowledge" that takes away the darkness of delusion and ignorance. I'm all about that. Evil sucks.

I've said it before, but I'll say it again now: SO many of the concepts, thoughts, human needs and desires - they are the same between us all. They may be called different things, but it's all about the very same things. Amazing.

This time when I go they will be celebrating their Independence Day. It's on August 15th, the very day that I arrive in Hyderabad. I'm landing in the morning and so am sure to get in on all of the celebrations of the day. Diwali involves visiting friends and family bearing and receiving "sweets" of all kinds, (that's what I remember about it anyway - there may be more), which seems to be a common theme in many of the traditional celebrations I know about. The people of India certainly know how to share with each other and there's a generosity there that is unsurpassed. I'm just sayin'.

I found this quote that I wanted to share with you about their Independence Day. Most people don't realize it, but as a fellow Democratic Nation, they far outnumber us and reign as the world's largest. When I think of that in context of the current war we're fighting, the number of lives lost and blood shed for this idea of Democracy, I have more appreciation for the fact that they've not had their Democracy for very long and that they also suffered and fought just as hard for it.  Anyway, here it is:

"At the stroke of the midnight hour, when the world sleeps, India will awake to life and freedom. A moment comes, which comes but rarely in history, when we step out from the old to the new...India discovers herself again."  Jawaharial Nehru (on Indian Independence Day, 1947)

That's right: 1947! It wasn't until 1947 that India became free from British rule. Darn British! :) 

The only thing that I could find is that the national flag is displayed throughout the country and that there are a number of kites that are flown everywhere. It's interesting that on our Independence Day that we shoot off fireworks and are loud and noisy and for their Independence Day it is more subdued that Diwali. I'm curious to see what happens.

Okay - I know that my blogs are always so long, but I rarely get a chance to sit down, as you can see from the date of my last post. It's Sunday morning and before I get started on the list of "To Dos" that is a mile long and will end my day quickly, I thought I would take a few moments to update what's been happening.

BREAK - 

Yes, I took a break and started working on packing. I bribed my long time and very faithful friend K.D. with a bottle of Chardonnay to lend her fashion expertise and rifle through my closet with me. Knowing that I am definitely NOT going to blend into the crowd, I have to look as fabulous as possible! Deepthi has mentioned that she has several blouses and other things for me, but after an experience at a boutique there called Kalanjali when I was politely informed by the clerk that they did not have anything in my "size" because I'm a big American , (HEY - Not that big - c'mon!) I am making sure that I have enough clothes to last. When we were all done I had a little pile of clothes to pack up. Here's the count:

5 skirts
1 dress (I'll wear it will leggings and it will be PERFECT for at least one of the events)
1 pair of jeans
2 capris
3 pants
11 blouses
3 light long sleeved "jackets"
11 tank tops (I will always keep my arms covered - don't want to blind anyone you know)

Now to the shoes.....

3 pairs flip flops
3 pairs sandals
1 pair tan shoes (closed toe - small heel - for the dress!)

I list all of these things because again, I'm documenting this trip to the last detail AND I get a lot of teasing about the way I pack. I've taken great lengths this time to keep it under control and so I welcome commentary - bring it on!

Yes, I just got done ironing everything (it's my grandmother's fault) and now I'll begin packing it away in this awesome thing called a Pack-It. It's like a little folder with a handle that allows you to fold things in a certain way that maximizes space. If you don't have at least one, (I'll be using two), you don't know what you're missing. 

The plan is to get my clothes in the suitcase today and everything else that I know I'm taking. Homecoming at Palmer is this next week and it will pass like lightening because it's so busy. This is the last calm day I will have until right before I leave. Time to make the most of it.

Namaste, Julie Akka

No comments: