Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Why does time have to pass so quickly?

Why does time have to pass so quickly?

It’s already Tuesday morning. It’s very early and everyone is still sleeping. There is so much going on each day that it’s very hard to want to open the laptop to write because I will most assuredly miss out on something.

To say that in the short few days that I’ve been here it has been an “experience”, really misses the mark somehow. Here’s a run down of what has happened for those checking my blog and for myself to be able to remember later as details can get mired when so much goes on.

It happened like this:

ARRIVAL IN DELHI: So I take a deep breath, grab all of my belongings and depart. I feel nervous because I don’t know what to expect and I’m by myself. In the past I’ve always relied on other people whenever I’ve traveled out of the country to help me navigate things and this time I was going to have to put my big girl panties on, as they say, and do it myself. I have to say that it was empowering actually because I made my own way. As fate would have it there was another American woman there by the luggage carousel that knew the ropes. She had traveled many times to Delhi for business and so we started talking. My luggage came pretty quickly, (all of it thank God!), and off I went through customs. She kept an eye on me, I certainly kept my eye on her to watch what she was doing and before I knew it it was done. Upon writing this I realize that the “by myself” usage may not be entirely accurate, but of note would be the realization both that I love the knack I have to find people when I need them and am not afraid to ask or talk, but also I see that from the very beginning people were provided to me to make my venture less scary, less daunting and ultimately more safe.

Customs was a breeze. I don’t remember if he actually even asked a question of me. I did however find it remarkable once again to see security men in the airport which I think are actually police men, with heavy machinery strapped to their backs. It makes you realize that you’re not in Kansas anymore, but by the same token once put into perspective I felt comforted somehow that should the stuff hit the fan that if necessary one shot would do it. Efficiency.

Connected with my guide for the rest of the trip, Ujuul (I call him Danny, but am getting the hand of his name now), was loads of fun. Okay, a little nerve wracking, but again turned out just fine and in the meantime, I realized my own self-sufficiency. Guests are not allowed into the airport and so I had to go out. Deepthi had told me that there was only one way out, but there was two, like a T-shape. I went left when of course, I should have gone right. It was the best thing I could have done however because there were chairs there and as I would find out later, Danny was much delayed due to the traffic for Independence Day and the heavy rains, (it is Monsoon Season after all). I didn’t know that however and so I just hung out and soaked up all of the incredible people watching.

It was raining when I arrived and what I would say is that it’s a different kind of rain than what I’m used to. This was a steady rain with no thunder or lightening or wind of any kind. If I could compare it to anything I would picture a shower with a steady stream of water just washing everything away.

When I couldn’t find him after about an hour I have to admit that I started to get a little nervous. I told myself to remain calm, but as anyone who knows me even a little bit, I tend to get a little “anxious” when things don’t happen immediately or as I think they should and so this was a grand exercise in trust for me - a very important attribute to develop.

People are staring at me, but there is no issue. Red hair, white skin, red baggage - whatever. I decide that my best course of action is to act as if I know what the heck it is I’m doing and simply relaxing while I wait. I know I must also look the part as well so I put my arm up on the chair next to me, lean back and begin to just patiently wait. After a bit I see that nothing is happening and so I head back inside the airport passport in hand to see what I can do.

I decide to venture out the other side and quickly realize that this is where the mass of humanity awaits their precious cargo. I simply went out the side for hotel shuttles and so forth. Now it gets a little more frightening I’m not going to lie. It’s obvious that I don’t fit in, but again I see that you must act as if you know what’s happening and are simply part of it all. I have a picture of Danny and I begin scanning the crowds. Not helping. Really not helping. After a bit I see the woman that was directly ahead of me in the flight to Delhi, I don’t know if she speaks any English, but it’s worth a try. I grabbed my luggage, crossed the barrier of the gated area that arriving passengers were in and headed into the crowd toward her. She had turned around at one point during the flight and asked if I had any Advil. She had a terrible headache. I just so happened to have a little Tylenol in my bag for emergencies and once again, as fate would have it, making that brief connection came to be tremendously helpful many hours later. Who would even think such a thing could be possible?

She was visiting Delhi to see her mother who was failing in health. She lived and worked in San Jose, California. I nearly dropped over when she said that! Had I heard of San Jose? Well, yeah I said, we just happened to have a college campus there and I had been there once already destined to possibly return yet this year. Bingo!

I told her that I was waiting for someone that hadn’t arrived yet and that I had already tried to use my phone, (International plan), go inside the airport to look for a phone that I could dial out on to reach Scott or anyone that could get in touch with Deepthi, tried using the number I had for her and tried to somehow communicate that I needed the internet. No dice. So, here I was in the middle of the rain all around me, crazy amounts of people and this one woman who might be able to help or at least provide company until things worked out. It was great and once again it was easy to connect with another woman although a stranger to help me through.

She was waiting for people also that hadn’t come and was able to ascertain from someone that traffic wasn’t just bad, it was horrible. The International and Domestic sections of the Delhi Airport are not connected and someone had told her that it was taking hours to get from one to the other even though they were less than 20 miles apart. Independence Day was making things dicey, but the heavy rains had also complicated things greatly. Flooding was rampant and many cars were stalling in the water unable to continue. In India traffic is unlike anything most people have ever seen. It’s like a giant ameba of many parts just moving and flowing in multiple directions. It may not be fast, but it works.

I kept watch on her baggage while she tried to use a phone to call her friends that were to come after her and she wasn’t having much luck at anything she tried either. We were in the same boat - two women from the U.S., one a native to Delhi and one an Irish girl from Iowa, (currently residing in Illinois yes, but Iowa is still home). We began talking with each other and I learned that she had been in the U.S. for decades. She was just as overwhelmed by the onslaught of input to the senses as I was.

Just after we exchanged contact information so that I could see her again when I flew to San Jose next, I heard someone ask me if I was Julie and I looked up to find Danny. YES! YES! YES! I am Julie and I’m happy to see you and you don’t look a thing like your picture. I would have never figured out who he was!

We instantly called Deepthi who was frantic herself realizing that I didn’t know that Danny was stuck in traffic and off we went to start a three hour tour to get to the Domestic Airport so that we could catch the flight to Hyderabad in the morning.

Getting a taxi was the first task on the agenda and by no means an easy one. We piled in and took off for the Airport. By that I simply mean that we merged in traffic slowly and proceeded to get to know each other. It was hot, humid and difficult on the ride to the airport, but also fine. The breeze was cool from the rain, but you couldn’t keep the window open for long because you’d get soaked. The taxi was also not air-conditioned and the driver had to keep wiping off the inside of the window to see. It was quite something to watch the entire process and soak in the traffic all around me. Despite the rain people were walking, riding scooters and everything else. We got to the airport and made our way past security to the interior of the airport. I don’t think this was supposed to happen for some time, but Danny, well versed in the way of Indian “gifting”, was able take us places we weren’t supposed to go. I like gifts. Gifts are nice. Gifts are important and gifts works. Rupee talks and people walk. It’s the way of India.

I tried to fix myself up in the bathroom because to my shock and horror after all of the rain, heat and humidity I looked like I had put my finger in a light socket. Not pretty and not fixable with a little lipgloss.

The counter provided ample space for me to spread out all of my tools of the trade, including my flat iron and makeup, but it was really to no avail. I did the best I could, but realized quickly that it was futile. Danny would just have to suck it up and be prepared to accept me as is! :)

We just hung out in the airport until morning. It started off a bit slow, but was okay in the end. I was anxious to get to Hyderabad now that I was in India.

Boarding the plane was great, I took a little nap and had a little breakfast and there we were. The airport in Hyderabad is brand new and GORGEOUS. Compared to what I first experienced here in 2006, this airport was like a palace. Out we went to find Deepthi and Sangum in a car with a driver and that’s when I started breaking the rules. In my excitement I have to admit that a squeal or two came out and I hugged both of them with enthusiasm. Deepthi corrected me immediately, but it was already too late. I would do better I told her with a wink, but I’m not sure she believed me.

I am currently making notes about the rest of the trip since I've been here and when I get a moment will update the blog again with the play-by-play for each day. Namaste!!

1 comment:

Amy said...

Hi Doc J! Thanks for the updates! They are fun to read. I hope you are having a great time!

~Amy :-)