Monday, August 4, 2008

A little over a week...

It's Monday night, the 4th of August. I'm tired after 11 hours at work, but there is so much to do before I leave and time is ticking. I just finished shampooing the carpet because my little Gracie, princess that she is, has decided to simply relieve herself wherever and whenever the mood strikes. Ahhh, anything for her.

I got to talk with Deepthi today. I could hear the mesmerizing code of honking in the background and cannot believe that I'll be a part of that morse code of honkers :) in just a short while. 

She said that it's 99.9% possible that Sangum, "Dad", is going to be in Delhi to sit with me until the flight to Hyderabad leaves at 5:50 the next morning. I don't imagine that I will sleep much as it will be the first time that I'll actually be able to have a conversation with him since I left in October of 06. For reasons I cannot explain I have been able to converse exceptionally well face to face with both Sangum and my friend from Germany, Uwe, but over the phone it's hopeless. The beauty of facial expression and body language. Works every time. I'm so excited! We had such wonderful discussions during the many hours I did get to spend with them on the first trip and I'm sure there will be non-stop discussion when I arrive as well. I hope that the .01 percent doesn't alter this arrangement.

I'm nervous. I'm excited. I feel a bit surreal. What's the big deal right? It's just a trip to India to be a part of a Hindu wedding and experience the energy, mysticism and heartache of the largest democracy on earth. I will see the greatest wealth, jewels and riches while seeing the exact opposite of the spectrum with desperate poverty. Desperate poverty. It's just more desperate than anything I saw in South America, anything I've ever seen here and it presents a true dichotomy of life. On the one hand you see children, you see mothers smiling and raising them. You look around the corner and see someone with such a severe deformity that you want to take a picture of it just to prove that it's real. It hurts your heart. I mean physically. It hurts. It takes your breath away, it makes your throat tighten and at times I know that I would even hold my breath for a moment or two. I've never forgotten what I saw and I know I'll see it again. I know I'll hurt again, but by the same token, it's also inspiring in a way I never expected. 

We were riding in our bus to another site to adjust patients. We passed slum after slum after slum. Children were running around nearly naked at times and women were hard at work everywhere at the business of survival.  People could be found sleeping anywhere and everywhere amidst the constant deafening and confusing noise. It was miraculous. I remember so clearly that in the awe of all of this that people would stop what they were doing for just a moment when we drove by if we caught their attention. It must have been pretty odd to see us, this bus full of Americans. But, time after time if I could make contact with someone they would simply smile. It was genuine. It was like, "Welcome to my India. Even though my life might be considered to be a pile of shit by many standards, I'm still standing. I'm still here and grateful for each day." I'm no mind reader for certain, but I felt it like it was being said. Several people even waved at me. I don't know what I was expecting really. An obscene gesture?! I guess I just didn't expect such kindness and strength in the midst of hunger, deprivation and lack of the basic things that most people I have ever known, including myself at times, take totally for granted. 

Deepthi once said to me that nothing is wasted in India. Nothing. Food scraps - you name it. Sometimes when I go to dispose of food or other things that I call garbage I remember that. At those times I give thanks and I surrender to my belief that we are all in this together and there is some reason for this suffering and a lesson in their ultimate happiness in life. 

Indian people know how to party. I think I said it before, but it bears repeating. Until you've seen it with your own eyes there is no imagination for it. It's serious business and there's no need to do it on a small scale when it can be done bigger and of course, better. Deepthi casually says, "Well, we're expecting around 1000 people, but we'll tell the caterer to plan for 800. You never know." I was silent for a moment after that because I was in shock I think. WOW. BIG FAT WOW!

Well, it's getting late and there's more to do before bed. I know my friends in India will be checking this along with my American friends to see how I'm fairing before I leave. I just want to say that I hope that you've slept well. It's 9 in the evening here which must make it around 7 or so in the morning there. Have a cup of tea for me Dee and don't forget that you promised me as many as I could gulp down - num, num!!

No comments: